31 July 2006
Essential guide to health and safety law from LRD
The Labour Research Department (LRD) has just published the 2006 edition of its acclaimed Health and safety law booklet.
Health and safety law 2006 has been fully updated to cover new regulations, HSE guidance and significant court cases. And this year's edition includes for the first time a detailed index, which readers will find invaluable for navigating its pages.
The past year has seen significant developments in health and safety law, including:
* new regulations on noise and gangmasters;
* an amendment to the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations on civil liability;
* new working time regulations on unmeasured work; and
* new regulations in the offshore, railway and nuclear industries.
Health and safety law is regarded as one of the most comprehensive guides to the subject among trade unionists, making it one of LRD's best-selling booklets.
It covers all aspects of the law, from the basic framework of the legislation to safety reps' rights and details of regulations relating to all aspects of the working environment, equipment, physical hazards and accidents and injuries. And it shows how safety reps can use the law to tackle the growing problems of stress, bullying and violence at work.
Health and safety law 2006 also informs union reps about forthcoming developments and issues that may result in new health and safety law over the next year - such as the banning of smoking in most workplaces in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, which is expected to come into force by summer 2007.
Written with union negotiators and safety reps in mind, it is widely used by lay and full-time union officials in negotiations with employers to ensure that workers are being protected.
Notes to editors
1. Health and safety law 2006 is published by the Labour Research Department, 78 Blackfriars Road, London SE1 8HF, price ?9.50 or ?20.00 for employers or commercial organisations. LRD booklets are also available on subscription at an annual cost of ?34.45 (?79.65 for employers/commercial organisations). LRD publishes 10-11 booklets each year.
2. The Labour Research Department is an independent trade union and labour movement organisation founded over 90 years ago. Around 1,800 trade union organisations, including 55 national unions, representing 99% of total TUC membership, are affiliated.
3. For press enquiries on this booklet, contact Paul Hampton on 020 7902 9826. To order copies of the booklet, telephone 020 7928 3649.
4. Full information about all of LRD's services and publications is available on the LRD website at www.lrd.org.uk.